Common Retail Facilities Maintenance Challenges and How to Overcome Them
Struggling with retail facilities maintenance challenges? You’re not alone. Facilities maintenance for retailers is a complex, nuanced part of business that often presents organizational obstacles. This results in retailers not allocating enough time or resources to facilities maintenance, which only creates more negative business repercussions.
4 Common Retail Facilities Maintenance Challenges
Often, retail facilities maintenance is not given the attention it deserves because store executives and managers aren’t equipped to deal with commonly associated challenges, including:
1. High Operating Expenses – Managing retail facilities maintenance doesn’t come cheap. Everything from submitting work orders to processing invoices can quickly get out of hand, driving operational expenses through the roof. These costs also impact businesses’ bottom line, leaving store executives and managers hesitant to implement any kind of maintenance strategy.
2. Store Management Involvement – Store managers consumed by work orders and maintenance responsibilities are unable to focus on revenue goals and creating quality customer experiences. Additionally, most store managers don’t have the knowledge or experience to deal with complex maintenance needs, leaving them frustrated and unsure of proper maintenance strategies.
3. Operational Disruption – Most retail brick-and-mortar locations have assets that must be functioning at 100 percent to keep doors open. If these assets break down, day-to-day operations are threatened and retailers face potential lost sales and negative brand perceptions. Not to mention, the cost and time needed to fix the issue can keep operations down longer than anticipated.
4. Risk Mitigation and Compliance – One of the most prevalent retail facilities maintenance challenges is risk mitigation and compliance. Every work order submitted is subject to review and confirmation that service providers carry out proper indemnification policies. Plus, store managers are responsible for claims management when customers are involved in maintenance-related accidents.
Although there are facilities maintenance challenges for retailers, there is still a way to overcome them: Partnering with an experienced, industry-seasoned maintenance provider that understands the ins and outs of the industry.
Take On Retail Facilities Maintenance With SMS Assist
SMS Assist empowers businesses to address retail facilities maintenance challenges as efficiently and effectively as possible. Our proprietary platform, One by SMS Assist, connects you to thousands of contractors (we call them Affiliates) who have the tools and expertise to take on any type of maintenance task.
Key benefits of partnering with SMS Assist include:
- Real-time visibility into maintenance spend, quality assurance and service verification.
- 24/7 managed maintenance through a nationwide team covering every step, from work order creation to vendor payment.
- Indemnification backed by a $50 million insurance policy.
- Cost savings achieved through eliminating unnecessary work orders and back-office costs.
Learn more about common retail facilities maintenance challenges and how to overcome them in our white paper, “How to Calculate the True Cost of Retail Facilities Maintenance.”